Thursday, August 29, 2013

Classroom Reveal 2013-2014


Open House is over, I met my new kiddos, and my classroom is full of new supplies! Now that I have them all organized, I'm ready to show pictures of my finished classroom.

First, I would like to point out a few things. Although I started this blog to track how much time I spent setting up the physical environment for my students, I did not blog to point out how "unfair" it is that teachers are expected to do things outside of their contracted hours. However, I think the numbers are interesting, and I don't think the general public realizes how much time teachers put into preparing their classroom. With that being said, here are the stats:

-It took me 130 total hours this summer to move into, and set up, my new classroom. Only 3 hours of this work was completed during my contracted time.
-Teachers went back to school this past Tuesday. We attended many required meetings and in-services during this time. I had approximately 12 contracted hours to work in my classroom, most of which was spent planning. This means that the work I did in 130 hours (and actually more, if you count time spent planning) was actually supposed to get finished in 12 hours.
-I did not keep track of how much time was spent on planning, curriculum development, and reading professional texts this summer. Those hours definitely exceeded the hours spent working on my classroom.

A few details about classroom decorating restrictions in my district:
-We are not allowed to bring in anything that has to be plugged in (refrigerators, lamps, etc.).
-We are not allowed to paint.
-We are not allowed to have items made from fabric (couches, throw pillows, etc.) in our classrooms.
-We may only cover approximately 20% of our wall space.
-We may not hang anything from the ceiling.
-We may not hang anything on our doors.

If you have been following my blog, you may have seen many of these pictures, but I'm recapping everything here.

The hallway:



View to left when you walk in:


View to the right:


View to the left from the opposite corner:


View to the right.


Calendar/mailbox area. The basket is for finished work, and the little container to the left hold fish sticks for choosing students at random.


I'm keeping it simple with birthdays this year, and taking pictures like this to place on this chart.


CAFE menu (with 2 columns for comprehension), word work shelf, and document camera:


Class schedule:


Writing area: this will contain anchor charts, mentor texts, paper, and work on writing options. The binders below will store student assessments and tests throughout the year.


Alphabet line:


Social studies/science board, and student computer area.



I did away with my teacher desk this year, so this is my new "teacher desk area."


My listening center, complete with the Ikea spice rack idea that is all over Pinterest:


Daily 5 anchor charts:


Student book bins, and small group area (I keep all of my small group materials hidden in the cupboards):


This is the other part of my "teacher desk area."



These baskets hold teaching materials for the week:


The cupboards contain my "math word wall." (To see the post about the inside of my cupboards, click here.)


This is going to be my author study board. We're going to be celebrating Dot Day in September, but I didn't get a chance to pick up more Peter H. Reynolds books from the library. So, I put back to school books in the rack instead.


This will be the home for our class frog, who should be arriving soon! I set it up early to keep the kids wondering what it will be for.


Genre board (posters are from One Extra Degree):


This board is going to to contain ELA anchor charts.


My PBIS board. The pockets contain my classroom jobs, and the puppies move from pocket to pocket. Later I will add the "Top Dog" poster for the student of the week.


Classroom library:


Doubles posters and number line:




I try not to keep a lot of supplies on the tables-just pencils and erasers. I place student names on the back of the chairs with Velcro. The extra spots in the bin are for any "fun" pencils that students bring.



Each table group has their own bookcase to store supplies (the idea came from Dandelions and Dragonflies). The container on the left is for headphones. The basket on the right is for art boxes (crayons, markers, colored pencils), and the bins on the bottom contain notebooks, folders, and take-home binders.


That's pretty much it! I didn't go into tons of detail, but if you want to learn more about the different areas of my classroom, please click on the various blog posts on the right.

15 comments:

  1. Love your room! How did u attach the spice rack to your wall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used a masonry screw and a hammer drill to make the holes. My fiance actually did it. :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your room looks fabulous! Where did you get your number line? Also, this is my first year in a room with cinder block walls. What do you find the best method for getting things to stay up?? Thanks so much!

    ~Traci
    The Bender Bunch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I got my number line at a teacher store. I found it online here: http://www.govgroup.com/number-line-20-to-100-7-pieces-34-ft-2197291-prd1.htm

      I use stikki wax for everything, and it's amazing. Don't get the dots-the wax sticks are much better, and go a lot further: http://stikkiworks.com/prod_wax.html

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your room!! You have the exact colors I am wanting to do in my new classroom this fall. I would love to know where you got your rugs and cute labels. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brandie!
      The labels are from Teachers Pay Teachers: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Classroom-Label-Pack-Editable-Polka-Dot-Brights-754837.
      I purchased the rugs from Overstock.com: http://www.overstock.com/search?keywords=Handmade+Soho+Bubblegum+Black%2F+Multi+N.+&SearchType=Header . They were pricey, but they're holding up pretty well.

      Delete
  6. I just found your classroom tour and love your green and blue theme. This year I'm using light brown (butcher paper for bulletins), green, blue, and grey. Thanks for sharing your classroom with us.
    @ Wiley Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where can I get your Daily 5 pendant sign and your clock minute signs? Thanks!! Love your room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!
      I made the pendant sign myself, and I found the clock labels online a long time ago. I can't find the source, sorry! There are many options on Teachers Pay Teachers, though. :)

      Delete
  8. Painting for metal work may be somewhat different from that of wood patio furniture.http://www.gardenarteu.com The first step is to remove any pieces of rust by gently scrubbing off the big pieces. outdoor furniture contemporary Then using a pal-sander to eliminate the rest of the rust. commercial outdoor patio furniture You can _ use sand by hand when you do not have a palm sander. resin outdoor furniture wholesale After the scrubbing then ensure that the furniture is smooth to touch where it is cleaned with a solvent such as acetone to make sure that the chair is clean and ready for priming and later for painting. After painting it should be protected with a sealer and then let to dry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful room! You've inspired me to try a different seating arrangement for the fall... May I ask where you got your book shelves? I love how everything is uniform!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the calendar/mailbox area. It would be cute to have a mini brick mailbox installation. lol

    ReplyDelete